We curl it, we dry it, we straighten it, it’s no wonder that our hair needs a little extra TLC every now and again. A good hair mask can get pretty pricey, so why not take advantage of the ingredients that you already have in your pantry and fridge? A great DIY hair mask can be easily and effortlessly created using ingredients right from your own kitchen.
Rehydrate and restore damaged hair strands with these 3 DIY masks:
- Guac-Goddess: For dry hair
- ½ avocado
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 oz. water
Mix the ingredients together in a blender until they are totally combined. Wet your hair with warm water to help open up the hair follicles, which will allow for optimal absorption of the ingredients in the hair mask. Apply the hair mask to your wet hair and comb through for an even application. Cover your hair with a shower cap to allow the hair to absorb the nutrients. Leave the mask on for 15-20 minutes and then rinse your hair with cool water the close the hair follicles and lock in the moisture!
The essential fatty acids from the olive oil and avocado will help restore broken and fried hair, while the honey will provide B vitamins for long and strong locks.
- Body Boost: For limp or fine hair
- 1 T. olive oil
- ½ cup of flat beer
- 1 Raw egg
- Mix all of the ingredients together and massage into clean, dried hair. Let the hair mask sit for about 20 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water.
- The yeast from the beer adds volume to your hair, while leaving proteins behind that can repair damaged hair cells. The egg also adds additional protein and Biotin, which can help remove built up oils that can weigh down your hair, making it look limp and lackluster.
- Frizz Tamer: For frizzy hair and fly aways
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 T. olive oil
Mash all of the ingredients together and massage into clean dry hair. Put on a shower cap and leave it to soak into your hair for 20-30 minutes. Rinse your hair in cool water to remove the hair mask.
Bananas and avocados are both packed with essential fatty acids, natural sugar and B vitamins that your hair can easily absorb to nourish and repair damaged and broken hair follicles, while stimulating hair growth. The vitamin E found in olive oil aids the body’s ability to make keratin within hair strands to reduce breakage.